The Festival International d’Art Lyrique d’Aix-en-Provence is a summer opera festival founded by Countess Lily Pastre in 1948. The beauty of Aix makes it a perfect location for a festival, as guests can also enjoy the city during their stay.
The festival lasts for three weeks, and consists of six opera productions, as well as a series of diverse concerts. These performances take place at a variety of noted locations around the city, such as the Grand Théâtre de Provence, the Théâtre du Grand Saint-Jean, and the Théâtre de l’Archevêché. Opera stars, including Montserrat Caballe, Jose Carreras, Marilyn Horne have performed here in the past. Today Anna Netrebko, Karita Mattel and Sir Simon Rattle continue this legacy.
While it is a comparatively young festival—celebrating its sixtieth anniversary in 2008—it has quickly become an integral and important opera festival. It is currently directed by Bernard Foccroulle, and this year will premiere The Monster in the Maze, by Jonathan Dove.
Beyond the Opera:
- Digital Webdocumentaries, available on the festival website, offer a new way of experiencing opera.
- Also on the website are a series of festival videos, offering an intimate glimpse of the festival and its operas.
- By becoming an individual supporter of the festival, many special discounts and benefits become available, including the chance to meet the artistic and production teams.
- Becoming an official supporter also grants one entry into the Patron’s Club, which guarantees one invitations to exclusive stays, galas, and private recitals.
- Souvenirs and DVDs of the festival can be ordered online.
Know before you go:
- There are several stages at this festival. One might consider downloading a festival map from the festival website.
- The ‘Pasteur’ and ‘Bellegarde’ cark parks are a short walking distance from the festival.
- A menu, designed by Butard Enescot, has been prepared specifically for the festival.
- The bar opens at 8pm, and remains open during intermissions.
- Ticket prices hover around 130 euros.
- Visitors under age of 30 can get Le PASS and have free access to nearly fifty events.
Festival International d’Art Lyrique d’Aix-en-Provence
Box Tel.: +33 (442) 17 34 34
Fax: +33 (442) 63 13 74
Mozart : Don Giovanni (Aix-en-Provence 2017 : Jérémie Rhorer / Philippe Sly / Julie Fuchs …)
Published by Nadia Kovarskaya, Founder
Nadia Kovarskaya is in Top 100 globally as authority/influencer in PerformingArts and Philanthropy https://agilience.com/en/NadiaKovarskaya
Posted by Nadia Kovarskaya